Tuesday, January 20, 2015

DeCon Daze

Our first DeCon day was Delightful. Take 5 mature women (aka grannies), give em some guy tools and see how much damage they can do in a few hours.

We started with a bunch of old machines that have been in retirement for decades, just like us. Some like the Underwood manual typewriter are older than dirt (and was caked with layers of dirt, oil and hay).



Others like the Commodore 64 keyboard (named after the 60's group) were just vintage (aka dated) or to put it simply  - old but not yet really cool

Like this antique slide projector
Which was immediately entered into the witness protection program to keep  it safe from Ginger the destroyer. We thought this was too lovely to trash and it was saved, at least for now.




Plus, my sleek black Underwood adding machine which I knew had lots of treasures under the hood.

Then, we got to work,

Ripping and stripping
snippin and clippin

Unscrewing with precision (tho the opposite is more fun) and lots of WD40 - Yeah we know what that is - lube gel for machines.

We started pullin' out some neat finds like this large pristine vacuum tube from the movie projector

And this "Comb" that came from the manual typewriter. Tiny springs hang from each hole.

One deconstructionist (who will remain anonymous)  was a bit OCD about her stash, organizing by size and type as she went (whatever floats your junk boat). 

While I preferred the dump-n-pile method.

This pile is ALL from my adding machine. I feel a bit sad and guilty for demolishing such a lovely piece. It gave me new appreciation for the complexity of the design and function that went into these units. 


Every piece of metal had to be designed, tooled,  fitted and tested. Layer upon layer had to be built up and all had to eventually work together AND do basic math (something I could use a few more parts for myself). 
Plus lots of grease was involved to keep it all running smoothly.


What will we do with all the STUFF. Well that's for another day. 
This was the easy part.

2 comments:

  1. My two young grandsons spent an afternoon and more to take apart an old electric IBM typewriter, everything that could be unscrewed. It's down now to the point where things must be hacksawed apart but their Dad says no, too many sharp edges created. What's left is almost a work of art and I hate to throw it away. I think you're in Colorado; do you ever come to Denver? I'd love to donate this skeleton to someone who would use it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carol, yes sure. I come to Denver. I also have a lot of friends there too. So email me directly to chris ----- a t---- tacileart.com with your contact info. Thanks for contacting me. Maybe you can come to a decon day in the summer? I'm up in the mtns near Salida.

      Delete